* Present Puri proper is a box jam packed with shops, people, more shops and a sea beach.
* Strong lights of shops covering quite a large portion of beach area makes an awful lot of light pollution for you to appreciate the sea at night.
* The beach is dirty with waves bringing in at times, empty beer bottles, leftover food or chocolate wrappers etc.
* While sitting on beach, hawkers bother you every now and then with their wares.
* Camel riding, horse riding, shops on the beach have completely ruined the aesthetics of Puri beach.
* Food quality in Puri is poor. Rice is of cheap quality. In the many of most standard restaurants, there is an option called Fine Rice which costs more than normal rice. Well that Fine rice is also just passable. All snacks near beach area is over priced.
* Orissa / Odisha is not good for tourists, most being dishonest.
* The famous Jagannath Temple also has it’s own features which seemed unfair to commoners. Chart with rate for pujas are given, for Jagannath, Balaram and so on. You have to choose a package as per the chart. The minimum being 500 in the year 2009 ( if my memory serves me right ). For bhog you have to pay extra. Leather products are not allowed inside temple, so its better to carry things in fabric bags while visiting temple. And only HINDUS are allowed inside temple as per notification.